Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bunny Ears and Bow Ties Revised

One of the most time consuming things when I was a kid was tying my shoes. I would have to sit down and sing the little rhyme to myself for about ten minutes until my parents became impatient and tied them for me. But when I finally learned how to do it myself, I had a huge feeling of accomplishment. Today while watching Ted Talks I stumbled upon one with an interesting title... "How to tie your shoes." While watching this video, be thinking about how you were taught to tie your shoes and how simple it seems to be.





This video made me think that even though we all have our own ways of doing things, listening to other people's advice might give us a greater advantage. We've always been told to listen to others and be collaborative workers, but outside of school most kids don't continue to listen to the point of view of another. In this case, it was a small change that Terry Moore taught is, but to me it had more meaning than just saving a little extra time in the day.

A quote that really intrigued me was when the speaker said, "Sometimes a small advantage some place in life can yield tremendous results some place else." This had me realize that in school, my teachers knew what they were talking about! Weekly we had to read off habits of mind from a white poster hanging in the back of the room. They had been trying to engrave it in our brains since sixth grade that they can help us be successful. As soon as I heard this quote I thought of applying past knowledge to knew situations. It was one of the main, and most dreaded, habits of mind we learned about. If you use the advantages from your past by remembering what made you successful, you can remain successful in the future.

What I want to know is some other unique ways of doing simple things that can help you remember better or get things done quicker. Like tying the knot on your shoes the other way or writing in a planner so that you don't forget to do things. Everybody has some interesting way of getting things done and I'm always up for learning about ideas other people have!